Saturday, May 4, 2013

Polar Lights 350 TOS Lighting Kit Review and Comparison.

Greetings and welcome to my review of the Polar Lights lighting kit for the 350th TOS Enterprise. A little background first. I'm currently working on three builds of the 350th TOS, not to mention that I've been researching this ship for more than a decade and the fact that I created my own scratch build back in 06 and then attempted to market and refine the ship through a well know vendor. At any rate, I'm currently working through three builds for clients. One of the clients bought the "Evan's lighting kits and one of my clients bought the PL kit that this blog post is about. I remember back in 1979 I bought a Lesney Smoothy kit not to long after seeing the movie for the first time. The kit cost about $20.00 to $30.00 depending on where you bought it and at that time it came with a sound board and lighting kit. You got phaser and photon torpedo sounds and interior lights with running lights with that kit. Now, recently I got back into designing my own electronics, especially when I saw the cost of kits. I bought all of the material below for about the same price as the Polar Lights Lighting Kit. What you see below consists of two power supplies, 16.4 feet blue, surface mount, LED strip, 16.4 feet of super bright white, surface mount, LED strip, 16.4 feet of RGB, surface mount, LED strip, two remote controls, a potentiometer (Dimmer), two super bright LED towers and two dedicated RF controllers. Before I go any further, I want to link to a couple of my videos showing some of my recent work and showing these parts in action.

Just copy and paste into your browser..



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndn5ifkxX04&list=UU1pd6di3ydbK_VK0yMDejRw&index=1

As you can see, I've got a bit of a background in electronics. Now to show what you get with the PL lighting kit. What you get? A hand full of clear parts that should have been included in the basic kit, a hand full of transparent colored parts that should have been included in the basic kit and some basic electronics, two blinkie boards and two small motors, for an additional $125.00-$175.00... Personally, I prefer my box full of electronis for about $150.00 that I can use to light a dozen kits. Stay tuned for the new video, as well as the NEW from me circuit;)=/\=

2 comments:

  1. Oooooo! I would love to know what supplier you got you electronics from! And the exact list of items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/ How's that for an answer? Just look up the parts that I described, or talk to a Tech Rep.

    ReplyDelete